Want to work for a company that is stable AND growing during these uncertain times? Due to our continued expansion, we are looking to recruit a passionate and driven Senior Project Engineer, with extensive experience in business development, technical analysis, and design and project management/client relations.
This is a unique position with diverse responsibilities, within a collaborative team, in a growing organization with a refreshing culture. The stellar benefits of joining an employee-owned company with an award-winning Project Delivery Group will not disappoint!
Reports to SVP of Strategy & Client Development
This position requires the ability to coordinate the work of engineers and technicians and to develop and monitor project schedules and budgets. The position also requires a fully competent engineer in all conventional aspects of civil/site engineering. Plans, conducts, coordinates, supervises and reviews work requiring judgment in the independent evaluation, selection, adaptation and modification of standard techniques, procedures and criteria. Applies intensive and diversified knowledge of engineering principles and practices in broad areas of assignments and related fields. Requires use of advanced techniques, and the modification and extension of theories and practices of engineering, related sciences and disciplines. Devises new approaches to problems encountered. The expertise for this position is from progressive experience. Position requires the ability to:
- Serve as a project manager on civil/site, municipal or governmental projects.
- Schedule and coordinate engineering and production staff on assigned projects.
- Provide technical guidance and training to engineering and production staff.
- Develop quality assurance/control practices and conduct project reviews.
- Assist in marketing of civil engineering services.
- Plan and coordinate work with clients, sub-consultants and contractors.
- Prepare proposals, develop and monitor project schedules and budgets.
- Make decisions independently on engineering problems and methods.
- Represent the firm in public forums and presentations.
Responsibilities and Tasks:
- In a supervisory capacity, plans, develops, coordinates and directs a large and important project or a number of small projects with many complex features.
- Responsible for the complete technical review of all work produced by staff under his/her supervision.
- Responsible for developing and reviewing design reports, facility planning studies, alternative cost analyses, construction cost estimates, and feasibility studies. Prepares and reviews regulatory license and permit applications.
- Conducts individual research to carry out complex or unusual assignments using new or improved techniques and procedures.
- Develops and evaluates plans and criteria for projects and activities conducted by others. Assesses the feasibility and soundness of proposed products or materials when necessary data are insufficient and confirmation by testing is advisable.
- May perform as a staff advisor and consultant for a technical specialty or design function.
- Responsible for establishing construction administration and monitoring when required.
- Lead responsibility for coordinating shop drawing reviews and all in-house record-keeping activities in conjunction with resident engineer.
- Prepares technical scope and budget of proposals for new work. Coordinates with marketing staff to develop resumes, project profiles, and other proposal materials.
- Possesses a broad knowledge of conventional civil/site design elements and the principles and practices of related specialties, including geometric layout, road design, drainage design, water distribution design, sewer design, pump station design, utility coordination and grading design.
- Able to identify need for specialty in-house or sub-consultant services needed to meet project objectives (environmental, geotechnical, structural, transportation planning, etc.).
- Knowledgeable of client standards and policies, schedule requirements and available company resources.
- Knowledgeable of current industry design and construction practices.
- Knowledgeable of State and municipal regulations and design standards.
- Knowledgeable of office design procedures and graphic standards, and checks drawings for conformity.
- Directs and reviews preparation of construction quantity and cost estimates and evaluation of alternatives, from preliminary through final plans. Provides guidance for organizing computations and documentation.
- Good written and organizational skills.
- Basic skills in AutoCAD.
- Knowledge of Word and Excel software.
- Knowledge of Hydro CAD and other commonly used design programs.
- Coordinates with Team Leader and other Project Managers.
- Communicates effectively.
- Ability to work in a team-based atmosphere.
2. Knowledge of Project Objectives
- Monitors project schedules and budgets for accomplishing entire project per contract.
- Communicates routinely with team leader on status of project schedules and budgets.
- Understands special requirements for a particular project, such as deadlines, special standards, environmental issues, permitting requirements, confidentiality, etc.
- Understands level of detail required and extent of research needed to satisfy project objectives.
- Knowledge of level of communication required for coordination of all project tasks.
- Knowledge of overall objectives and concepts involved in the design.
- Knowledge of feasible and locally available construction methods, materials and costs.
3. Client Contact
- Has primary client contact responsibility for projects.
- Represents the firm in a professional manner when dealing with the public, review agencies and clients.
- Makes technical presentations to clients, regulatory agencies and public meetings.
- Coordinates projects with regulatory agencies, municipal staff, utility representatives and others.
- Is aware of potential client contacts and leads for new work.
- Attends interviews and make presentations to obtain new work.
- Communicates budget and scope changes to client and prepares contract amendments.
4. Training and Continuing Education
- Responsible for keeping up to date with technical advancements or new methods by reading technical journals, participating in technical associations, attending short courses and seminars, and taking additional evening course work on a periodic basis.
- Advances skills in technical disciplines, including technical writing and specifications.
- Learns to use new software applications as required for projects.
- Responsible for advancing communication skills (technical writing, oral presentations and public meetings).
- Advances skills in project management.
5. Record Keeping
- Responsible for keeping and monitoring accurate records of time spent and tasks performed on time sheets and expense forms.
- Monitors project expenditures relative to budgets.
- Prepares monthly invoices consistent with contract obligations.
- Responsible for keeping and monitoring full documentation of telephone and e-mail correspondence with vendors, review agencies, clients, and anyone involved with project tasks and assignments.
- Responsible for monitoring that neat and proper documentation of all computations and reference material are maintained, both electronically and hard copy.
- Assures that all computations and plans by staff are checked and that another Senior Engineer checks his/her computations and plans.
- Responsible for filing systems, procedures, and storage locations such that all necessary documents can easily accessed by others, both in hard copy and electronically.
- Participate in interviews of new engineers and technicians.
- Assist with orientation and training of new personnel.
7. Professional Responsibilities and Liabilities
- Keep up to date on standard design practices.
- Keep up to date on computer applications.
- Be aware of OSHA, fire, environmental and other design and construction codes related to design.
- Prepare contracts in conformance with Company policy, and have all contracts reviewed by a principal.
- Advises principals of situations and issues that could incur potential company liability.
Works independently and in consultation with supervisor. Supervision and guidance received relate mostly to overall objectives, critical issues, new concepts, policy matters and contractual issues. Consults with team leader or principal concerning unusual problems or issues.
Supervises, coordinates, and reviews the work of engineering staff and technicians, estimates manpower needs, and schedules and assigns work to meet due date. As researcher or staff specialist, receives assistance from engineers and technicians.
Education and Experience:
Experience: 10 years minimum
Professional Registration: Professional Engineer’s License
Professional Activities: Member or equivalent grade in professional/technical society.
Great opportunity to work on a diverse array of projects and be an integral part of our employee-owned company. We offer an excellent work environment, competitive salaries, and great benefits. We work hard at providing opportunities for professional and personal growth while working for our collective success.
Interested individuals can submit a cover letter and resume to Mark Adams, President/CEO, c/o Gina Austin, Executive Assistant/HR Coordinator by filling out the form below.
Sebago Technics is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.