Transportation engineer is expected to become experienced in conventional aspects of traffic and/or transportation engineering. Plans, conducts, and coordinates work requiring judgment in the independent evaluation, application, selection, adaptation and modification of standard techniques, procedures and criteria. Applies intensive and diversified knowledge of engineering principles and practices in broad areas of assignments and related fields. Requires use of practical and advanced techniques, and the modification and extension of theories and practices of traffic and transportation engineering, related sciences and disciplines. Devises new approaches to problems encountered. The expertise for this position is from progressive experience.
Responsibilities and Tasks:
- In a design capacity, plans, develops, coordinates and directs a portion of small projects and/or components of large projects with many complex features.
- Assists Group Leader with quality control and review of plans/documents.
- Ability to multi-task and manage multiple projects of varying size and diversity.
- Develops design drawings and reports, field information, alternative cost analyses, construction cost estimates, and feasibility studies.
- Prepares and reviews regulatory license and permit applications.
- Conducts individual research to carry out complex or unusual assignments using new or improved techniques and procedures.
- Assesses the feasibility and soundness of proposed products or materials when necessary data are insufficient and confirmation by testing is advisable.
- Performs construction administration and monitoring when required.
- Prepares construction quantity and cost estimates and evaluation of alternatives, from preliminary through final plans. Provides guidance for organizing computations and documentation.
- Represents the firm in a professional manner when dealing with the public, review agencies and clients.
- Makes competent and knowledgeable presentations to clients, regulatory agencies and public meetings.
- Coordinates projects with regulatory agencies, municipal staff, utility representatives and others.
- Is aware of potential client contacts and leads for new work.
- Develops solid working relationships with clients and builds client confidence.
- Negotiates with clients and regulatory agencies to resolve project issues without jeopardizing client or regulatory relationships.
- Keeps and monitors accurate records of time spent and tasks performed on timesheets and expense forms.
- Monitors project expenditures relative to budgets.
- Keeps and monitors full documentation of telephone and e-mail correspondence with vendors, review agencies, clients, and anyone involved with project tasks and assignments.
- Keeps neat and proper documentation of all computations and reference material are maintained, both electronically and hard copy.
- Assures all computations and plans by staff are checked and that a Senior Engineer checks his/her computations and plans.
- Keeps file systems, procedures, and storage locations such that all necessary documents can easily accessed by others, both in hard copy and electronically.
- Serve as project engineer on civil/site, private, municipal or governmental projects.
- Schedule and coordinate engineering and production staff on assigned projects.
- Provide technical guidance to engineering and production staff.
- Develop quality assurance/control practices and conduct project reviews.
- Assist in marketing of traffic/transportation services.
- Plan and coordinate work with clients, sub-consultants and contractors.
- Develop and monitor project schedules and budgets.
- Demonstrate excellent client/customer communication skills (written and oral).
- Make decisions independently on engineering problems and methods.
Education and Experience:
Experience: Minimum of 2-4 years of professional traffic and/or transportation engineering
Education: B.S. Degree or higher in Civil/Traffic Engineering (PTOE preferred)
Professional Registration: Interest in obtaining P.E.
Professional Activities: Member or equivalent grade in professional/technical society.
Great opportunity to work on a diverse array of projects and be an integral part of our employee-owned company. We offer an excellent work environment, competitive salaries, and great benefits. We work hard at providing opportunities for professional and personal growth while working for our collective success.
Interested individuals can submit a cover letter and resume to Mark Adams, President/CEO, c/o Gina Austin, Executive Assistant/HR Coordinator by filling out the form below.
Sebago Technics is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.